Friday, March 23, 2012

The pigeon toe pose: A myth debunked.

Ever since the rise of the fashion blog, it's been a 'thing' to bash fashion blogs. Now, I could say that technically, Disco Me to Oblivion is not a fashion blog but a personal style blog and in fact, I prefer this term over its negatively connoted sister, one reason being the fact that a lot of fashion blogs don't even cover the art form, just the consumerism (which is totally fine). But by common standards, as I take pictures of my outfits and throw them online, I am a fashion blogger.

Spending time around the web, cruisin' along websites like lookbook.nu, several fashion oriented forums and of course a shit load of blogs, I have compiled a little list of commonly encountered criticisms towards fashion blogs and fashion bloggers personally, including but not limited to;
"Blogging is narcissistic and shallow."
"Do they even wear these outfits in real life?"
"That's Photoshopped."

However I want to expand on the phenomenon of the Pigeon Toe'ed Pose: Girls pointing their feet together, as demonstrated in the photos below (yes, those are all my feet haha).

Mega ultra awkward version of the pose in old Urban Outfitter lace up booties // Subtle angle in brand new AllSaints Damisi boots

Stretchin' them achilles in AllSaints Ismaris boots // AllSaints Maera boots for 70s pigeon toes

Dirty toes in Converses // Bonus pic of my cat Fonzie snoozin' in the morning light

So why would anyone place their feet like that, you ask? Is it to make make them look cuter, quirkier and more innocent? Is it to make their legs (especially your inner thighs because in lookbookland they're not allow to touch each other) look slimmer?

I obviously can't speak for everyone bending their knees awkwardly but I do it... Because it's a stable pose!!!!1!1 Taking pictures, especially indoors, requires standing very still, and if you're shooting at 1/10 like me, it's pretty important to keep a steady grip, even if you have orthopedic train wrecks for feet. So next time you see a chick "trying to be all cute", think about the knee joint problems, the spider and varicose veins and the swollen legs having flat feet cause. Cute? Don't think so bro!

That was my two cents on the subject. Tl;dr? I hope you enjoyed pictures of my shoes! Don't care about shoes either? Well, Fonzie's looking pretty damn precious in that bonus shot. 

Adios, amigos! See you soon for like, proper updates and shtuffz.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At March 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM , Blogger Megan said...

I love all of those boots.

I often stand with my toes pointed in but looking back at my blog photos I seem to like sticking one leg out with the tip of my toe on the floor and tilted. Strange how we find our comfort zone when taking our own photos.

 
At March 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM , Blogger A Stylized Hysteria said...

I'm hyperaware of this pose but I find myself falling into it every time I take an outfit shot. Partly because it is more stable and partly because I believe it makes me look thinner.

What was that you were saying about bloggers being shallow? :D

 
At March 29, 2012 at 1:01 AM , Blogger the outfit diaries said...

I do that too, but my I have knock knees..

 
At April 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM , Anonymous Karlijn said...

Je Tl;dr is geniaal :D

Lees je blog altijd met veel plezier, ga zo door!

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you'd like to ask a question, be sure to leave an e-mail address or whatevz so I can get back to you, because otherwise I'll just get all awkward and forget to reply, which comes off rather shitty, but I swear I'm actually a pretty okay person in real life. Promise!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts