Tuesday, December 27, 2011

DIY post - Two weeks in Hawaii



Hey guys! I hope everyone's had a good Christmas with lots of food and presents and funnnn! My Christmas was okay, I'm not really big on the holiday because we're just not really that close as a family so being together somehow always feels a little make believe to me.
Especially because there are a few loud eaters in the bunch. Like you wouldn't believe.

Anyway. A while back I felt like keeping busy making jewelry so I ordered some supplies on ebay and today the last bit arrived so I got right to it (which is so unlike me because I mentally prepare for everything haha) and made a beaded bracelet! I mostly followed this tutorial, but did my own thing here and there (mainly because the hole in the beads wasn't big enough to have the thread pass through twice).


Supplies! I used 1 meter of metallic embroidery thread, 50 cm of 1mm brown waxed cotton cord and a bunch of 2mm howlite turquoise beads.


Halfway through the process. I taped the whole thing down to a world atlas, which just so happens to be my favourite work top but a regular table will do too haha. I just find it helpful to tape it down because the whole thing's really fiddly and the less shit I have to fiddle with, the better.


And voila! The seemingly invisible end (well almost) product hanging in my cherry blossom tree light which I got for Christmas!
It was already dark so I had to find a creative way to photograph this in artificial light so I figured I would just put it up there rather than wait until tomorrow because I got too excited haha.

The bracelet's still a bit messy and I don't know how I'm going to finish the end (probably a bead to fit through the loop hole) but I'm quite happy with it! I already ordered some more beads and I have plenty of thread (gold and silver) and cord (all colours of the frikkin rainbow) left so I'll definitely be doing more.

I''m sort of thinking about selling these but considering the price of the supplies (semi-precious beads) and the time and effort put into them (SHIT'S FIDDLY GUYS), I don't think I could go lower than €8 ($10,50 or £6,70), and I'm not sure if that's an ok price for a tiny little (but very pretty!) lightweight bracelet like this one. (Click here for size reference.)

For the time being this is just a little brain child of mine (brain child with a name, but I don't want to jinx it!!!), and I'm going to test this prototype bracelet to see how much wear it can take, but I would appreciate some feedback on the price!

Adios guys, and HAPPY FUCKIN' NEW YEAR if I don't get to post any sooner!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At December 27, 2011 at 7:31 PM , Blogger Kelsey said...

Heel leuk gemaakt!

 
At December 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM , Anonymous Jolien said...

héél leuk inderdaad

 
At December 27, 2011 at 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha die atlas herinner ik mij nog, die moet ik ook ergens hebben liggen!
Mooi armbandje ook ;)

 
At December 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM , Blogger Jessi said...

Mooi armbandje! 8€ is een goede prijs voor een zelfgemaakt armbandje hoor. Moet je er gewoon voor zorgen dat het van goede kwaliteit is.

 
At December 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM , Blogger denise said...

mooi zeg!
liefs,
denise

 
At December 28, 2011 at 10:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this looks so good!
I love self-made jewellery and your bracelet just gave me an idea :DDD

well done!

xoxo Jen

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you'd like to ask a question, be sure to leave an e-mail address or whatevz so I can get back to you, because otherwise I'll just get all awkward and forget to reply, which comes off rather shitty, but I swear I'm actually a pretty okay person in real life. Promise!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts